BOPTOM Bachelor's in Optometry (LATERAL ENTRY)
Admission seats available in 3rd semester Boptom program
Why do Bachelor's in Optometry?
It is well known fact that minimum qualification and nomenclature will vary the profile and competencies of a professional. Same way in Optometry considering the 10 NSQF levels designed by NSDA (National Skill development agency) the optometrist will have two entry levels Both Diploma and Degree and the proposed career progression is Ophthalmic Assistant for a diploma holder and Optometrist for a Bachelor of Optometry. Considering the patient dealing in case of optometry government as well as the profession both aim to phase out diploma by 2020.It will aim to promote bachelor and Master’s degree after that.
Understanding the situation, the diploma is encouraged to upgrade to degree through lateral entry courses.
At Ansal we follow the ministry of health guidelines and the curriculum and other guidelines are followed as it is. The lateral entry suggested is also in the 3rd semester to balance the gaps in diploma programs such that it prepares you best for future regulation.
The program has equal weightage to clinical and theoretical base. The campus center of excellences in various specializations will train you in specific subjects. Students will have a weekly rotation posting at the hospitals and the clinical work will be weekly monitored.
Eligibility: Diploma in Optometry from recognized university
For admission fill form online www.ansaluniversity.edu.in or contact 7988821477
Upon graduation, positions are available in:
- Optometrist will work independently or in conjunction with other eye/health care professionals.
- The optometrist will be knowledgeable, skilful and analytical in diagnosis, treatment planning, management of visual defects & impairments and in co-managements of ocular conditions.
- The optometrist can work in hospitals (both private and public sectors), optical outlets and/or work as independent practitioner
- The course will lead to a basic degree in optometry, which is considered as the minimum essential for statutory registration of optometrists in countries where optometry has been brought under legislation.
- Undertake public health optometry projects and vision screening eye camps in schools, colleges, urban slums, rural areas and practice occupational Optometry in industries.
- Public education on ocular hygiene and related nutritional and environmental counselling.
- Offer a helping hand and or efficiently manage and successfully run any ophthalmic clinic, optometry department in hospitals, optical shops, and offer product expertise in ophthalmic industry & trade.
SCOPE OF OPTOMETRY
There is no doubt that the demand of Optometry is huge in the country. The profession not only gives immense opportunities of employment but also gives student a chance of self-employment too.
There are many career options available to Optometry graduates which depends on the academic and abilities to perform skills.
- Independent Optometric Clinic with Optical outlet.
- Practice in eye institutions/hospitals as every eye institution has an optometrist apart from ophthalmologists as their consultant.
- Shortage of the Optometrist in government primary health centers
- A rewarding career in corporates in eye care industry such as contact lenses, ophthalmic lenses etc.
- Excellent job opportunities both in India as well as overseas.
- Further education leading to post-graduation, teaching and research in various fields of eye-care.
Fully qualified optometrists with a minimum of four years of training are qualified to:
- Prescribe the latest advances in spectacle lenses
- prescribe rigid and soft contact lenses including orthokeratology, frequent replacement, and extended wear contact lenses,
- conduct complex contact lens fitting for myopia control and corneal disorders
- prescribe vision therapy, vision therapy treatment for children with learning problems or common binocular vision disorders including squint and lazy eye,
- provide low vision and rehabilitative services-vision aids assisting visually impaired people to use their functional vision more effectively,
- detect or diagnose ocular conditions and associated systemic health conditions, and refer them to appropriate health care professionals, and
- offer counselling services on preventive vision care
Optometry will play a major role in eye are provision at primary, secondary and tertiary level and where ever possible work with ophthalmologist and other eye care providers towards a unified goal of combating blindness. In countries such as Australia, the United States and United Kingdom, optometry is well developed highly sought after profession and have high standards of eye care service.
Download Fee Structure